I thought I would share recipe since everyone is making their 2021 resolutions to eat healthier. I am unsure where I found this recipe and modified it to make it easier for the average person, but it is a way to have your sweets without adding processed sugars and flours to your waistline .
by The Food Whisperer-Adrienne Falcone Godsell
11/2 cup walnuts, raw 3/4 cup raisins
1 tablespoon cocoa powder 4 medium apples peeled and cored
1/3 cup honey, raw 1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 medium lemon, juiced 1/4 cup coconut, unsweetened shredded (optional)
1 teaspoon allspice (optional)
1. Wash and core the apples, let sit with lemon juice and 2 C water for 7 minutes.
2. Make the crust by placing walnuts, raisins and cocoa powder in a food processor and process with the until finely ground (mixture will stick together).
3. Line a 9 inch pie pan with mixture and form crust.
4. Cut apples into ¼’s , place in food processor 6 pieces at a time, and pulse /chop until cut into small pieces (be careful not to chop apples too finely and make apple sauce).
5. In a large bowl, combine chopped apples, cinnamon, honey and dash of allspice (optional) together.
6. Level out with a spatula.
7. Sprinkle coconut flakes on top of mixture.
8. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour to allow pie to set.